Homemade Buffalo Sauce is a tangy, spicy sauce, loaded with flavorful spices and melted butter to make it extra creamy and smooth. Serve with blue cheese or ranch sauce over chicken tenders, wings, tostadas, or veggies.
In this post, you are going to learn what is buffalo sauce made of, what does it taste like, and if buffalo and hot sauce is the same thing.
There is a skip-to-recipe button in the top left corner along with a clickable table of contents list (just below) that will quickly take you to the part you are more interested in. Enjoy!
Why it's yummy
- The perfect dip sauce - Homemade Buffalo Sauce is the ultimate perfect hot sauce and dip for chicken wings, veggies, french fries. It tastes delicious also when drizzled over deviled eggs, or used as an extra spread/sauce for sliders, tostadas, quesadillas, burgers, and sandwiches.
- Flavorful - Moderately spicy, tangy thick sauce that tastes great combined with fried foods.
- Easy and quick - no time was wasted in making this sauce that comes together in under 15 minutes!
- If you like spicy appetizers you should definitely check out next the following: Baked Buffalo Chicken Tostada,
So what is in buffalo sauce? My version is simple and straightforward and can be customized to each taste and even with far fewer spices.
- Hot sauce - any hot sauce will do, just don’t go for extra spicy ones. Frank’s hot sauce is a good start as it is milder than others (Don't use tabasco or sriracha as they are too hot for this). Read the labels and compare different sauces, you may need to go through some trial and error first before you find the best option. If it is too spicy, you will feel it, but adding more butter may help. Also make sure to serve the buffalo sauce with creamy sauces such as blue cheese, ranch dressing to balance the spiciness. Yogurt dressing or good old sour cream.
- Butter - melted butter is what makes the hot sauce become milder and creamier in texture. Have more butter on hand in case you’ll want to add more. The buffalo sauce is still on the hotter side of the scale and is meant to be consumed with other foods and sauces and not on its own.
- Vinegar - I prefer milder vinegar types, apple cider (5% or 6%), or white wine vinegar.
- Italian herbs - if you are a regular reader on my site you probably know how much I love adding herbs everywhere. And I own a few large packs of Mediterranean herb mixes that go well with most of my dishes and add the best aroma to basically any recipe. The traditional ‘’authenthic’’ Buffalo sauce does not have any herbs in it, but I hope you like my version of it because it tastes way better!
- Garlic and onion powder - I prefer fresh onion and garlic but for this creamy buffalo sauce version, I used powders. I believe granulated garlic would also work but will give a little grainy texture to the sauce, which should be fine as well.
In a medium saucepot over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add the remaining ingredients, and whisk well. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Add vinegar, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
Let cool completely before use.
If properly stored in an airtight container, a glass jar (no plastic!), then you should be good to use the buffalo sauce for a week.
How to use Homemade Buffalo sauce?
Well, like you would use any other hot sauce! I recommend using it in:
- As a dip for Chicken nuggets
- As a marinade for Chicken, wingsm beef strips
- Breaded chicken or other fried foods
- Drizzle over sandwiches
- Drizzle over pizzas
- Serve with blue cheese sauce, sour cream or ranch dressing to balance off the spiciness
- As a dippings sauce for veggies
I hope you'll enjoy this super easy homemade buffalo sauce recipe and if you make it, please let me know down below in the comments or by tagging @theyummy_bowl under your picture on Instagram.
Easy Appetizer Recipes
- Homemade Parmesan Truffle Fries
- Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- Easy Asparagus With Cheese And Tomatoes
- Cheesy Summer Squash Zucchini Bites
- Cashew Pesto
Thank you for reading,
I would appreciate it so much if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the TYB newsletter and receive free recipes straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, IG & Pinterest!
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup hot sauce (Franks’ Hot sauce or similar)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian herb mix ((herb seasoning))
- salt to taste
- In a medium saucepot over medium-low heat, melt butter. Add the remaining ingredients, and whisk well. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, stir to combine, and remove from heat.
- Let cool completely before use.
- Serve with tostadas, tacos, in wraps, as a marinade for meats, dipping sauce, and many more.
- Storing and freezing - If properly stored in an airtight container, a glass jar (no plastic!), then you should be good to use the buffalo sauce for a week.
- What is Buffalo sauce supposed to taste like? Buffalo sauce should have a tangy, moderately spicy, and vinegary flavor. However the sauce will taste spicy if eaten on its own of course, but in combination with chicken wings or other foods that you can dip the sauce in, all the flavors will balance. It is still a spicy sauce but a slightly toned-down version of it.
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)