Quick and easy 5 ingredient Flatbread crust recipe requires only olive oil, flour, water, and salt. Making a delicious flatbread has never been easier and no yeast required.
Perfect for an appetizer, for the dinner table, for a wrap, for dipping, or as a great alternative to pizza dough.
Oh my, oh my, favorite thing to eat!
Lately, I'm so behind with everything and I almost don't have time to cook any proper meals.
I have to confess, that sometimes I just make a quick flatbread and a fresh salad to enjoy as a lunch or dinner meal. I know, not a wholesome dinner but...it tastes delicious and super quick to prepare!
This Flatbread recipe only takes 15 minutes to prepare and is soft and delicious. Seriously, how easy is that?
Make a bunch of flatbread crusts upfront and freeze or consume immediately while fresh and hot.
Use this flatbread recipe as a base for different tasty toppings and serve while hot.
How Do You Make Flatbread From Scratch?
All you need is 5 ingredients:
- olive oil
This recipe makes one flatbread. I usually make a bit thinner crust which is about 14-inch x 8 inches. It’s not too thick when rolled up to this size.
That’s how I usually make my flatbreads but it's totally up to you if you want to have thicker, smaller or wider flatbread.
To combine all ingredients you need a fork and your hands to knead the dough (alternatively this Danish Whisk is perfect for mixing up the dough).
If you have a food processor or stand mixer just throw in the ingredients and pulse until well combined.
I like to use a fork for this and keep things simple in the kitchen (and save time washing the dishes!
*** See recipe card at the end of this post for ingredient quantities and detailed instructions***
Are you interested in starting a food blog? You can start any blog for cheap, at only $3.95 per month (applies if you make a purchase for 36 months upfront using my link, which is a very low price!). Additionally, you’ll get a free blog domain if you sign up with Bluehost. Take a look at my full blog post I've written on how to start a blog.
Does flatbread have yeast?
Homemade - no yeast.
Some say that the difference between pizza and flatbread is the dough. In pizza, you’ll need to add yeast and in flatbread, it’s not necessary.
Flatbread can be healthy and nutritious and is considered an alternative to yeast-raised bread that is perfect for a range of diets.
How To Make Flatbread Recipe
Combine salt, sugar and flour in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
Add warm water and oil. Whisk and stir to combine.
Transfer to even surface, add a bit of flour and start kneading the dough to form a ball.
It takes about 3-5 minutes until the surface of the dough is almost smooth. Don’t worry if it’s not perfectly smooth as it won’t affect the final result that much.
Next, roll the dough ball using a rolling pin to a long oval or round to your desired thickness.
Thick or thin - depends on the volume and how many people you need to feed.
When preparing for a large family make it thinner and just about the size to fit the baking sheet. But careful with toppings, you don't want to overload the crust.
Poke the surface of the flatbread all over with a fork.
Now there are two ways. Depending on your crust thickness and desired final bread result - crisp or soft, you have two ways to bake the crust.
1. More crunchy result.
Place the flatbread crust on the earlier prepared baking sheet and pop in the oven for 2-3 minutes. Remove, brush with olive oil, add toppings, and pop back to the oven for 10-13 minutes.
Brush your crust generously with olive oil. Top up with desired toppings and transfer to the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are becoming golden brown and cheese (if used) is melted.
Serve with fresh greens and enjoy!
What Do You Eat Flatbread With
Honestly, you can do all sorts of things with it.
Here are few of my favorites:
- In place of a pizza dough topped up with plenty of delicious ingredients. Choices are endless from simple garlic flatbreads to cheesy, loaded with vegetables or meat flatbreads. Check out my Flatbread here.
- Make sweet flatbread by adding less salt and adding a bit of sugar. Top up with berries, cheese (blue cheese, goat cheese, brie or Camembert - these cheeses are perfect for this combination), fresh greens.
- Tore into pieces, or cut in triangles when ready and serve with Indian dishes, Thai food, any sort of rice bowls with heavy sauces.
- Eat it as a wrap with chicken, vegetables, cheese and etc.
- Cut in pieces and spread with hummus or dip in salsa
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
Thank you for reading!
What are your favorite ways to eat flatbread? Let me know in the comments, I'd love to hear from you!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Your feedback is so helpful and helps other TYB readers who are planning to make this recipe.
OUR FAVORITE EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you made this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Please tag me on IG @theyummy_bowl, using the hashtag #theyummy_bowl.
Quick And Easy Flatbread Recipe (No Yeast)
- 1 ½ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Measure out your ingredients. Prepare the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted lightly with cornmeal or flour.
- Combine salt, sugar and flour in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add warm water and oil. Whisk and stir to combine.
- Transfer to even surface, add a bit of flour and start kneading the dough to form a ball. It takes about 3-5 minutes until the surface of the dough is almost smooth. Don’t worry if it’s not too smooth as it won’t affect the final result.
- Next, roll the dough ball using a rolling pin to a long oval or round and to your desired thickness. Thick or thin - depends on the volume and how many people you need to feed. When preparing for a large family make it thinner and just about the size to fit the baking sheet.
- Poke the surface of the flatbread all over with a fork. Top up with favorite toppings and transfer to baking sheet and place in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until the surface of the flatbread or edges are becoming golden brown.
- Decorate with fresh greens. Enjoy!