The holidays have come and gone and you have leftover sweet potato casserole. Unfortunately, there isn’t always the same level of enthusiasm for the leftovers as there was for the celebratory meal. Well, that doesn’t mean your sweet potato casserole has to go to waste, you can freeze it and serve it in a few weeks.
- How long does Sweet Potato Casserole last in the fridge?
- How To Freeze Sweet Potato Casserole
- Can you refreeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
- How to thaw frozen Sweet Potato Casserole
- How to reheat frozen Sweet Potato Casserole?
- How do you know if your sweet potato casserole is bad?
- Looking for sweet potato recipes?
How long does Sweet Potato Casserole last in the fridge?
Baked sweet potato casserole will keep for 4-5 days in the fridge, sealed in an airtight container, or wrapped tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. If you don’t finish it within this time then it is best to freeze it.
How To Freeze Sweet Potato Casserole
Prior to freezing a sweet potato casserole, it's essential to omit the toppings. Toppings such as breadcrumbs, cornflakes, pecans, and marshmallows don't withstand freezing well, particularly over extended periods in the freezer.
Simply remove them and you can always add fresh ones once reheating.
When it comes to freezing sweet potato casserole you have a few options.
- The first option is to freeze the leftovers as a whole in the baking pan. Cover the baking pan with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and put the whole thing in the freezer.
- The second option is to remove the casserole from the baking pan and place it in an airtight container or wrap it before placing it in the freezer.
- The third option is to cut the sweet potato casserole into individual portions and freeze them. The portions can be wrapped in foil or plastic wrap or placed in a freezer-safe container. This method allows you to easily remove one serving at a time.
- The fourth option is to flash-freeze individual portions on a baking sheet and once frozen transfer them to a container or freezer bag.
Can you refreeze Sweet Potato Casserole?
I would not suggest you refreeze a sweet potato casserole. Once it’s thawed you should finish eating it with 2-3 days.
How to thaw frozen Sweet Potato Casserole
After you remove the casserole from the freezer, place it in the fridge to defrost overnight. It is not advised to thaw food on the kitchen counter at room temperature.
If your casserole is in a baking pan, place a dish towel underneath the pan to absorb any moisture.
If your casserole is wrapped in plastic wrap or aluminum foil you can place it on a baking tray in the fridge to capture the moisture as it thaws.
How to reheat frozen Sweet Potato Casserole?
If you've frozen the casserole in a baking dish, allow the casserole to come closer to room temperature before placing it in the oven.Don't put a cold baking pan directly in the oven, especially if it is glass.
If you freeze the casserole in plastic wrap, remove it from the plastic wrap place it on a baking sheet, and reheat it in the oven.
If you freeze the casserole in aluminum foil, you can place it directly in the oven to heat it up.
How do you know if your sweet potato casserole is bad?
There are a few ways to determine if your sweet potato casserole is not fit for eating:
- Does it smell okay? Take a sniff to see what it smells like.
- Do you see any mold? Look for green or black spots on the casserole.
- What is the texture? If it casserole is mushy or feels a bit slimy it may have gone bad.
- Seal the sweet potato casserole really well. You want to make sure no air gets in. If it does, the sweet potato casserole will get freezer burn and it won’t taste good.
- Write the date on the container or aluminum foil before you put in the freezer so you know how long before you should eat it.
Like all food, if left uneaten for a significant amount of time, it will go off.
Though both freeze well the canned sweet potato will have more moisture than the fresh sweet potato. Make sure to blot any excess moisture when you take the sweet potato out of the can so if you do freeze the casserole there isn’t too much moisture. This will reduce the risk of a soggy or mushy casserole.
Yes, if you want to freeze the casserole unbaked make sure not to add the toppings. It is best to add the toppings just before you bake the casserole for the best taste and texture.
Looking for sweet potato recipes?
- Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole
- Tex Mex Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Casserole
- Homemade Baked Sweet Potato Fries With Parmesan
I would appreciate it so much if you left a comment about this post below! Subscribe to join the TYB newsletter and receive free recipes straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, IG & Pinterest!