A simple way to incorporate healthy vegetables in your menu. This easy roasted asparagus with cheese is ready in less than 20 minutes and is the best vegetable side dish for any meat of your choice.
Did you know that something so easy can taste so good? This roasted asparagus with cheese is simple, with just a few ingredients and is whole family-friendly.
When I say whole-family-friendly, in this particular recipe I mean my toddler was eating this too. Surprise! If you have a 2 year old then you know the struggle of making sure that your kid eats ANYTHING at all. At this age, he really starts to show off his not-the-very-best side – picky eating.
Just try this asparagus with cheese and I hope this recipe helps at least one mom 🙂
Just as a side note, you want to add less parmesan cheese for kids as it has high levels of sodium, or even make a separate batch for kids with less salt and cheese or simply use less salty cheese instead.
This recipe is easy, loaded with asparagus, roasted tomatoes, delicious but very simple seasonings and cheese! Oh, and don’ forget to make a bowl of Creamy Mashed Potatoes that makes THE BEST side dish combination I’ve ever tried.
If you like roasted veggies then you can’t miss my Rosemary Roasted Beets And Carrots, Roasted Beetroot and Feta Salad with Walnuts, Roast Pumpkin Chickpea And Feta Salad, and Sweet Potato Fries with Truffle Oil.
- Asparagus – both regular and baby asparagus can be used for this recipe, although for smaller asparagus make sure to taste test after about 7 minutes of baking as it will require less total baking time. Youll want to add cherry tomatoes first and then later asparagus.
- Garlic and onion powder – they both give that little extra flavor that is sometimes lacking in roasted veggies. Paired with salty parmesan cheese makes a great seasoning for the roasted asparagus. Fresh minced garlic and small diced onion can also be used instead.
- Parmesan cheese – most of the hard and aged cheeses are a great choice here. Substitute Parmesan cheese with Pecorino, Emmental, or Gruyere.
Roasted asparagus with cheese is a very easy and healthy side dish that goes with I’d say anything! My favorite is to serve this asparagus with chicken, roasted salmon (checkout my Salmon Salad recipe for more info), Pork Tenderloin, or codfish steaks. Here’s few of the main dishes that work great with the asparagus and tomatoes:
Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes with remaining olive oil, salt pepper.
On one side of the baking sheet arrange the asparagus in one line and the other side with the tomatoes. Sprinkle both or just the asparagus with parmesan on top.
Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Need a different visual? This recipe is also available as as story!
- Asparagus – If you buy more asparagus, keep the fresh asparagus in the fridge. Trim the ends and make sure they are kept wet either in a larger cup with a bit of water or a damp towel around the ends. Treat them just like a bouquet of flowers!
- Seasonings – it is always fun to experiment with different spices, try Italian herbs, paprika (regular or smoked), chili flakes instead or with the onion and garlic powder.
If you follow these recipe instructions you should end up with crisp-tender asparagus. However, it is easy to overcook it and will depend on each oven individually.
If you’re not sure, make a taste test in about 10-minute mark and see if it is up to your liking. Also, be mindful of removing the asparagus from the baking sheet once it’s done and transferring it to a serving platter. Asparagus will continue to cook if left on the hot baking sheet.
As mentioned in this recipe I use 400 F for most of my vegetables. Bake the asparagus with cheese for 10-15 minutes and you’ll end up with a perfectly roasted, crisp-tender healthy veggie platter.
I hope you’ll enjoy this easy asparagus with cheese and tomatoes and if you do try this out, please let me know down below in the comments or by tagging @theyummy_bowl under your picture on Instagram.
Thank you for reading,
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest! Your feedback is so important and it helps other TYB readers who are planning to make this recipe. Thank you, appreciated!
Want More Yummy?
Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Potato Salad Without Eggs
- Cabbage and Cucumber Salad With Dill
- Easy Pico De Gallo
- Marinated Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad
Easy Asparagus With Cheese And Tomatoes
- 1 lb asparagus trimmed
- ½ cup parmesan grated
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ cup cherry or plum tomatoes cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp basil leaves chiffonade
- lemon slices/wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Trim the asparagus ends, place on a baking sheet (lined with foil or without), and drizzle with the 1 1/2 tbsp (or more as needed) olive oil, season with salt, pepper, onion, and garlic powder.
- Toss to combine with hands or kitchen tongs (or use a plastic zip-top bag for even distribution of seasonings).
- In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes with remaining olive oil, salt, pepper.
- On one side of the baking sheet arrange the asparagus in one line and the other side with the tomatoes. Sprinkle both or just the asparagus with parmesan on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately garnished with fresh basil leaves, lemon slices, sea salt flakes and balsamic glaze (optional!).
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on the products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you made this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Please tag me on IG @theyummy_bowl, using the hashtag #theyummy_bowl.