Make your own Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup from scratch in just 10 minutes! Never buy again the can from the store!
Why It's Yummy
- Homemade is always better and healthier. And let me tell you, it’s super easy to make ahead to use in MULTIPLE recipes such as pastas, casseroles, soups, stews, sauces.
- It's gluten free and it should work with most of gluten free blend out there (Measure to Measure, Bobs Red Mill.)
- This recipe will be ready in 15 minutes!
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
Add flour, and whisk together to make a roux (about 1 to 2 minutes).
Add the chicken broth and ½ cup of milk. Bring to a low boil and then stir in garlic powder.
Stir continuously, whisking as the mixture simmers.
Continue to simmer and stir/whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick, 3-5 minutes. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.
Remove from heat, stir in pepper & salt if using, let cool completely and transfer to glass jars or any type of sealed container (glass).
Use in your favorite recipes as a regular can of condensed cream of chicken soup.
Make a double batch and keep refrigerated in a mason jar or similar for up to a week (freeze for up to 4 months).
The mixture will separate slightly but after reheating and thoroughly whisking will return the initial texture. Add a little milk along the way if needed.
I love to use this recipe as a base for:
- The cream of chicken soup will further thicken once cooled, so don't worry if it is not as thick as you expect while making it.
- Broth - preferably a low sodium version, bouillon cubes, vegetable stock powder, or make your own at home (make a large batch of the broth and freeze it, thaw before use in the fridge or kitchen counter). Vegetarian option - Veggie stock can be also used as a substitute.
- Flour - the recipe will work with most of the gluten-free blends out there. In Europe, you can find a variety of Schar products which I love and in the US a great alternatives are Measure to Measure, Bobs Red Mill.
- Seasonings - add salt and pepper to taste, I wouldn't add anything at all if using bouillon cubes. Mix things up by adding dried herbs, flavored salts, flavored black pepper, onion powder.
I hope you enjoy this Gluten-Free Cream Of Chicken Soup, please share your thoughts and pictures on Instagram by tagging #theyummy_bowl. I love to see your creations!
Gluten Free Sauces and Condiment Recipes
- 15-minute Enchilada Sauce
- Vegan Bechamel Sauce (Easy White Sauce)
- Easy Hummus Recipe
- Quick Marinara Sauce Recipe
- Greek Yogurt Herb Dressing (5-minute dressing!)
Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour gluten free if desired
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat.
- Add flour, and whisk together to make a roux (about 1 to 2 minutes)
- Add the chicken broth and ½ cup of the milk. Stir to combine everything well.
- Bring to a low boil and then stir in garlic powder.
- Continue to simmer and stir/whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick, 3-5 minutes. The mixture will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove from heat, stir in the pepper and use as you would a regular can of condensed soup.
- This recipe can be used to substitute for one can of cream condensed soup in any recipe. The recipe comes out with about 1 cup of thick cream of chicken soup.
- Salt - If the chicken broth is already salted then skip the salt entirely or add to taste.
- How to store. Make a double batch of this cream of chicken soup and keep refrigerated in a mason jar or similar for up to a week (freeze for up to 4 months). The mixture will separate but after reheating and thoroughly whisking will return the initial texture. Add a little milk if needed along the way.