Tender, spicy with balanced sweet and savory flavor Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins are quick to make, naturally gluten free and are perfect to accompany any of your favorite Southern/Southwestern style dishes.
These cornbread muffins along with Cranberry Sauce With Mandarin Oranges, Whipped Mashed Potatoes are one of our favorite things to serve on our Christmas and Thanksgiving table.
There is a skip-to-recipe button in the top left corner along with a clickable table of contents list (just below) that will quickly take you to the part you are more interested in. Enjoy!
Why it's Yummy
- Despite being these cornbread muffins being gluten-free, they are very moist, fluffy and soft on the inside.
- The gluten free cornbread muffin batter is versatile, and you can make it in an 8 or 9-inch cake pan. Baking time will need to be adjusted though. See my tips on this below!
- Easy and quick - After you have gathered all the ingredients, the whole process will only take 30 minutes to make from start to finish. While the bread is cooking you can make the main course that will be ready just about the time when cornbread is finished baking. I highly recommend it with the Beans and Cornbread, or this Easy Vegan Chili.
PIN THIS POST NOW AND SAVE FOR LATER
These gluten-free Cornbread Muffins are truly the easiest and budget-friendly gluten-free bread recipes to make, these cornbread muffins are moist, tender, sweet and with a little heat in them.
Cornmeal - The main ingredient, that gives these jalapeno cornbread muffins their beautiful yellow color, grainy texture, and delicious flavor.
Jalapeños - you can use only 1 medium jalapeño if worried about muffins being too spicy. Prepare plenty of butter and honey to top your warm muffins and you’ll see how all flavors work well together and don’t taste that spicy at all!
Gluten-free flour - use a kitchen scale to measure the flour. The gluten-free blend I used for this recipe is called Schar Bread Mix but the same brand Universal Flour will also work here.
Granulated sugar - gives sweetness to the cornbread, but use any type of favorite sweetener of choice. In the past, I’ve made cornbread muffins just with honey or brown sugar instead.
Salt - to taste, and don't be afraid to add a generous pinch. Adds depth to ALL the flavors, so is a must ingredient here for sure.
Baking powder - lets the dough rise just about enough for these muffins. They will not have a huge top, but not too flat either. Just make sure your baking powder is not expired and kept sealed in a dry place.
Butter - another essential here! Gives buttery texture and flavor.
Olive oil - if butter gives a creamy and rich taste then olive oil really makes these jalapeno cornbread muffins moist and tender. Use any other vegetable oil of choice, but in my experience, a good quality olive oil works the best here.
Eggs - act as a binder, especially needed for gluten-free baking. Always use room temperature eggs for better blending results!
Whole milk - makes the cornbread muffins batter blend well and gives a rich flavor. Any plant-based milk will work too.
Enjoy the cornbread muffins with plain or flavored butter, honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, cheese. It's an excellent side dish for many soups, pastas, chili and our favorite Crack Chicken Noodle Soup.
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large bowl whisk sugar, baking powder, cornmeal, flour, salt until combined.
In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs and then add oil, melted butter and milk.
Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until smooth.
In a separate bowl mix diced jalapeños and sprinkle with flour just enough to cover all the jalapeños. After that, stir them into the batter.
Brush muffin tin with olive oil or butter and divide the batter equally between 15 cups. (You’ll need to fill up about ⅔ of each cup). Add a jalapeño slice on top of each muffin (optional but make a beautiful presentation).
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the thickest part will be almost dry.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the muffin tin. Remove to wire rack and brush with melted butter (optional).
Serve gluten free cornbread with honey, more butter, beans, chili’s, stews and many more!
- Baking powder - always check the expiration date, as with an expired one you may end up with flat muffins.
- Flour - I've used my go-to gluten-free blend from the Schar brand and very happy with the results it gives. You don’t need to add any extra ingredients besides baking powder like stated in his recipe (but is not required in all of the recipes with this flour) as it already consists of a thickener.
- The batter should be not too thick but pourable.
- You can also bake these gluten-free cornbread muffins in an 8 or 9-inch cake pan with a removable bottom. Bake at the same temperature 350 F for 35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the thickest part of the cornbread muffins comes out almost dry.
- These gluten-free cornbread muffins are more on the moist side so it is fine if a few crumbs are left on the toothpick, they are ready for serving. Remember, after removing the muffins out of the oven they will still continue to cook for a bit and leave them there for 10 minutes before taking them out.
- I have also amde these without jalapenos, and my kid eats at least 2 in one go 🙂 What you can do is, before adding diced jalapenos divide batter in two bowls and proceed with the recipe. In this case, decrease the amount of jalapenos in half.
These muffins taste best when served right out of the oven but feel free to freeze them in an airtight container or sealable gallon bags for later. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature and warm up in the oven (wrapped in foil) until warm to touch.
The main reason these jalapeño cornbread muffins may come out dry is if you have overmixed the batter, overbaked them, or didn’t use or used less olive oil than stated in the recipe. So don’t skip the oil and do not overmix the batter!
I hope you'll enjoy these jalapeño cornbread muffins and if you make this recipe, please let me know down below in the comments or by tagging @theyummy_bowl under your picture on Instagram.
Thank you for reading,
Easy Gluten Free Baking Recipes
- Pineapple Pancakes (Pina Colada Pancakes) | Gluten free
- Banana Matcha Easter Cupcakes (Gluten-free)
- Sunflower and Flaxseed Bread (Gluten Free)
- Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe
Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins (Gluten Free)
- 1 ¼ cup cornmeal
- ¾ cup gluten free flour sifted, see notes
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup oil + for greasing the muffin tin
- 3 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 2 medium jalapeno diced
- For serving more butter honey
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl whisk sugar, baking powder, cornmeal, flour, salt until combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk eggs and then add oil, melted butter and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix jalapenos and sprinkle with flour just enough to cover all the jalapenos. After that, stir the jalapenos into the batter.
- Brush muffin tin with olive oil or batter and divide the butter equally between 15 cups. (You’ll need to fill up about ⅔ of each cup). Add a jalapeno slice on top of each muffin (optional but makes a beautiful presentation).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the thickest part will be almost dry.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the muffin tin. Remove to wire rack and brush with melted butter (optional).
- Serve with honey, more butter, chili’s, stews and many more!
- You can also bake this jalapeno cornbread muffin in an 8 or 9-inch cake pan with removable bottom. Bake at the same temperature 350 F for 35 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the thickest part of the cornbread comes out almost dry.
- Flour - I've used my go-to gluten-free blend from the Schar brand - Schar Bread Mix. You don’t need to add any extra ingredients besides baking powder as stated in his recipe (but is not required in all of the recipes with this flour) as it already consists of a thickener.
- How to Freeze - These muffins taste best when served right out of the oven but feel free to freeze them in an airtight container or sealable bag. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature and warm up in the oven (wrapped in foil) until warm to touch.
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
Delicious moist cornbread muffins with a balanced sweet and spicy flavors!