Jalapeno popper dip is a delicious appetizer to serve for parties and potlucks. It is an easy and creamy spicy dip made with cream cheese, yogurt, cheese and jalapenos. Serve this jalapeno cream cheese dip with tortilla chips, crackers or for a healthy option veggie sticks.
I’m sure you gonna love this tasty adaption for a classic jalapeño poppers recipe. You can make this dip as spicy as you’d like or reduce the amount of jalapenos to make it more suitable for everyone to enjoy.
⭐ Serve this cheesy jalapeno popper dip at your next party, game day along with other tasty appetizers such as Spinach Artichoke Dip, Buffalo Dip, and Cold Spinach Dip.
There is a skip-to-recipe button in the top left corner along with a clickable table of contents list (just below) that will quickly take you to the part you are more interested in. Enjoy!
My few comments on the ingredients + don't forget to read the Tips section!
The full recipe and ingredients can be found in the recipe card below this post.
- Cream cheese - You can use a reduced-fat cream cheese or a vegan cream cheese substitute made from nuts or tofu.
- Greek yogurt - I went with yogurt however for a more rich flavored dip sour cream and mayonnaise are a perfect fit. Vegan yogurt made from nuts or soy-based would work here too.
- Shredded cheddar cheese - cheddar is the classic option, but feel free to play around with flavors by using either Colby, Monterey Jack, or pepper jack cheese, or a vegan cheese substitute.
- Jalapeno peppers - I prefer jarred or pickled for their mild flavor rather than fresh. You can use other types of peppers, such as poblano or Anaheim peppers, or use fresh or jarred diced green chiles instead. Some brands may be high in sodium or full of additives, so be sure to check your ingredients as always. Or use fresh jalapeno peppers instead (more spicy and adds more texture to the dip).
- Garlic powder - for convenience sake and milder ‘’zing’’ I like to use garlic powder over fresh. If you’ll be using fresh garlic or garlic paste, make sure to taste test the dip before baking and start with a small amount of garlic and increase as you go and like the flavor.
- Breadcrumbs - classic or panko bread crumbs add a delicious crunch and texture to this jalapeno popper dip, but you can skip it entirely if avoiding carbs. For vegan modification, nutritional yeast flakes would taste delicious here, but it is better to add them later for serving.
📋 JULIA'S TIP Let the cream cheese come to room temperature for better blending. If it’s too cold it will be difficult to incorporate with other ingredients.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Dip. Whisk together cream cheese, onion and garlic powder, and yogurt until creamy.
Stir in cheddar cheese, ¾ cup parmesan cheese, mozzarella, and jalapenos, mix well.
Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a 8-inch casserole dish (Mine was 8 ½ x 7 inches)
Topping. Mix together bread crumbs, melted butter, ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the filling.
Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. garnish with sliced green onions on top of the dip.
- Instead of breadcrumbs, you could use panko crumbs or crushed Ritz crackers (these can be found gluten-free as well).
- Instead of yogurt, you could use sour cream or light mayonnaise.
- Jalapenos - we like the flavor of canned jalapenos here. The dip is easy to make, does not overpowering spicy flavor, and is easily enjoyed by everyone. Fresh jalapenos are great if you want brighter and more pungent smoky pepper flavor, these will for sure add a way stronger spicy kick to your dip. And the dip will taste and feel more crunchy and overall chunky.
- If you prefer a milder dip, you can remove the seeds and membranes from the fresh peppers (if using). If you like it extra spicy, you can leave them in. With jarred peppers, the flavor will be overall less spicy.
Tips For Making The Dip Extra Creamy
- For extra creamy dip consider using full-fat cream cheese rather than low-fat or fat-free options.
- Sour cream and mayonnaise will definitely add more richness and depth to any dip.
- One of the best ways to make dip ultra creamy is to use a food processor, and pulse until you get the desired consistency. You can pop all the ingredients into a food processor and process them until smooth or add the jalapeno after for added texture. I do prefer some texture in my dips, and I like to have chunks of peppers in it.
- Use room temperature ingredients - it is so much better to work with softened cream cheese and yogurt and it helps with all the flavors blending faster and easier.
- To make things even creamier, add a splash of milk or cream.
- Make it less spicy by using less jalapenos and if using fresh peppers remove the seeds and membranes.
- Softened cream cheese - leave cream cheese and yogurt to sit at room temperature for about 20-30 minutes before prep.
- To prevent a watery dip, drain and rinse the canned jalapenos properly. Pat dry them well with paper towels.
- Grate the cheeses from a block, this way it will melt better, faster and incorporate into the dip more smoothly.
- Keep an eye on your cheesy dip and don’t overbake it. The dip is ready once the top is golden brown and the cream cheese is bubbly around the edges.
Best ways to serve jalapeno popper dip
- With tortilla chips, pita chips, crackers, baguette slices, garlic bread
- With veggies - veggie sticks such as carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers.
- A delicious spread for a bagel or toast
- As a filling/topping for stuffed mushrooms
- On a burger or sandwich
Freezing And Storing Instructions
- To Store. Let the dip cool and transfer to an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 days, and reheat in the oven until just warmed through.
- To Freeze unbaked dip - Combine all ingredients and transfer to a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to a month and when ready to bake let defrost overnight in the fridge. Baked as instructed until warmed through and cheese bubbly and browned.
- To Freeze leftover dip - transfer the dip into an airtight container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to a month. Let thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat in the microwave in small increments or in the oven until piping hot.
Different variations of classic jalapeno popper dip:
- Bacon Jalapeno Popper Dip - add crispy bacon to the filling or as a topping for serving.
- Spinach and Artichoke Jalapeno Popper Dip - add jalapenos similar to my spinach artichoke dip.
- Buffalo Jalapeno Popper Dip - for an extra spicy kick stir in the hot sauce of choice and just like with classic buffalo chicken dip served with crumbled blue cheese.
- Mexican Jalapeno Popper Dip - add spices such as ground cumin, and chipotle, and serve with plenty of toppings (similar to taco dip) and cilantro instead of green onions.
- Vegan Jalapeno Popper Dip - substitute cream cheese with vegan cream cheese spread (we like coconut spreads) and use vegan cheese or nutritional yeast flakes instead of cheese.
- Crab Jalapeno Popper Dip - add crab meat to the filling and bake as instructed.
Easy Appetizer Recipes
For a full collection hop on to our Appetizer recipe archives.
💗I hope you'll enjoy this jalapeño popper dip recipe, please leave a rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo of your food and tag me on Instagram @theyummy_bowl. I love seeing your creations! 💗
Baked Jalapeno Popper Dip
- 4 ounces jarred jalapenos (diced)
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (unsweetened)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup mozzarella (freshly grated)
- 1 cups cheddar cheese grated
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese grated
- A pinch of salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup bread crumbs (gluten free if desired)
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted and cooled)
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon green onion (sliced for garnish)
- sliced fresh jalapeños for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dip. Whisk together cream cheese, onion and garlic powder, and yogurt until creamy.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, ¾ cup parmesan cheese, mozzarella, and jalapenos mix well.
- Transfer the cream cheese mixture to a 8-inch casserole dish (Mine was 8 ½ x 7 inches)
- Topping. Mix together bread crumbs, melted butter, ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the filling.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. garnish with sliced green onions on top of the dip.
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
This jalapeno cream cheese dip was inspired by Spend With Pennies recipe.
Julia | The Yummy Bowl
enjoy this rich and creamy jalapeno popper dip with veggie sticks and tortilla chips.