This Easy Vegan Chili Recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes, healthy, full of flavor, and the perfect cozy meal for chilly days!
You don't need to be vegan to eat a Vegan Chili version but at this point you probably thinking to yourself - Does chili have vegan options?
Glad you asked! Ofcourse, yes, yes and yes! Am I too excited here? Sorry ...
I really am, excited to share this Easy Vegan Chili recipe with you, it is so good, trust me!
This Healthy Vegan Chili recipe is made with simple ingredients and vegetables that you probably already have in your kitchen.
It has a balanced flavor and is moderately spicy, BUT for real spicy Vegan Chili lovers feel free to increase the amount of chipotles in adobo (add 1 teaspoon extra).
Serve this Vegan Chili with delicious fluffy Cornbread, you won't regret it!
What is vegan chili made of?
It all starts with the base ingredients that add a ton of flavor to any Vegan Chili recipe - onions, garlic.
We then add kitchen staple veggies like carrots, celery, and all this deliciousness we top up with different types of chili spices like cumin, oregano, chili powder (you can also add smoked paprika for a more smoky note!). Of course followed with tomatoes, tomato sauce, veggie stock, and chipotles.
And most important, we finish our Vegan Chili with some protein sources like beans and lentils to make it a truly wholesome Vegan meal.
Why you’ll love this Easy Vegan Chili Recipe:
This Easy Vegan Chili Recipe is:
- Vegetarian, Vegan
- Easy and quick (ready in less than 30-minutes!) which is perfect for busy weeknight or lazy weekend dinner!
- Moderately spicy
- healthy food rich in protein
- Cozy and Fulfilling
- Made with fresh vegetables like celery, carrot, onion, bell peppers
- Chunky and thick pot of Chili!
- This recipe can easily be doubled for a large crowd! T
- Customized with your favorite toppings
- Simply deeeelicious!
Chili is better the longer it cooks! The longer it simmers, the more the flavors will meld together. In fact, Chili is perfect to make ahead, it will taste better the following days!
But be careful with chipotles in adobo, the chili will become spicier the next day too!
How do you make vegan Chili from scratch
Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Cook for 3 minutes constantly stirring and add minced garlic (cook for 1 minutes stirring).
Follow with spices: cumin, chili, oregano, sugar and stir well until onion and garlic covered in spices.
Add in the veggies: celery, carrot, red bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
Follow with crushed tomatoes, chipotles in adobo, black beans, lentils.
Then add tomato sauce and 2 ½ cups of vegetable stock.
Cover with a lid and take it to a boil over medium heat.
After that, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the veggies cook for 15 minutes until softened. Make sure to stir every few minutes. Season with salt and pepper (see notes) and lime juice.
Garnish with your favorite toppings (see the full list of options in the blog post below) and enjoy while warm!
Salt and pepper - depending on your vegetable stock/bouillon cube, if it is already with salt you may not need to add any additional seasoning. If so, add 1 teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper in total or to taste.
Rinse and drain the beans - despite the fact that some chefs prefer to use in cooking that thick liquid from the can the beans came from, it is not the best idea, and I'll tell you why. It has a lot of starch and is usually full of sodium. Not healthy, please rinse and drain the beans before using.
In case (just in case) you have leftover beans, never store them in the same can that they came from. I know how convenient it is but don't do it. They will be off very quickly and will pick up the taste of the metal, and this for sure, should be avoided. Pop them in a preferable glass or any airtight container with a lid and store them in the fridge for up to a week.
Serving and Toppings
Now to the best part of this Vegan Chili recipe - T O P P I N G S! In my opinion, the more the merrier!
Here's what you can add, but not limited to:
- Grated cheddar or your favorite queso 🙂
- Sour cream or vegan sour cream
- Freshly chopped Parsley
- Freshly chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Tortilla chips
- Vegan parmesan - seriously you need to try this!
- Sliced green onions, chives
Do you have a secret ingredient for your Chili? I saw someone adding chocolate to the Chili dish (what?), and apparently, it’s very popular...
What do you think, would you add this to your savory Chili? Or have you tried it already?
I can’t wait to try this next time I'm making my favorite Chili!
I hope you enjoy this Easy Vegan Chili Recipe and can’t wait to hear how it turned out! Thank you!
Easy One-Pot Dinner Recipes
Easy Vegan Chili Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 garlic clove minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 can 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chipotles in adobo
- 2 can 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup red lentil uncooked
- 15 oz Tomato sauce
- 2 ½ cup vegetable bouillon cube or vegetable stock
- 1 cup carrot diced
- 1 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper chunks
- 1 whole lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blue corn tortilla chips
- Vegan sour cream
- Sliced jalapeno
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Lime wedges
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Cook for 3 minutes constantly stirring and add minced garlic (cook for 1-minute stirring). Follow with spices: cumin, chili, oregano, sugar, and stir well until onion and garlic covered in spices.
- Add in the veggies: celery, carrot, red bell peppers, and cook for 5 minutes until slightly softened.
- Follow with crushed tomatoes, chipotles in adobo, black beans, lentils.
- Then add tomato sauce and 2 ½ cups of vegetable stock.
- Cover with a lid and take it to a boil over medium heat.
- After that, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the veggies cook for 15 minutes until softened. Make sure to stir every few minutes. Season with salt and pepper (see notes) and lime juice.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings (see the full list of options in the blog post below) and enjoy while warm!