Potato salad recipe (no eggs) - is an easy BBQ side dish loaded with potatoes, bacon, mustard olive oil-based vinaigrette without any eggs or mayo. This potato salad is light, very quick to make, and will be a perfect side dish for almost any main course. Perfect for parties.
This salad is made with olive oil and two types of mustard, a little bit of thyme, green onion, and vinegar which is perfect in combination with baby potatoes.
If you like potato recipes be sure to check out Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes With Cream Cheese And Garlic, Sweet Potato Fries with Truffle Oil or simply type the word ''potato'' into the search bar.
- Potatoes - baby potatoes or red potatoes (see below paragraph for the explanation)
- Mustard - Dijon and grainy mustard combined give the best flavor to this potato salad.
- Seasonings - salt, pepper. Ground pepper - for something different, try flavored ground peppers such as Lemon Pepper Seasoning, yum! Or simply squeeze a bit of lime or lemon juice on top of the salad.
- Herbs - None of my meals lack herbs, would that be fresh or dried will depend on the dish I’m preparing. For this recipe, I’ve used thyme, garlic, and green onions. Thyme is another needed ingredient - will enhance any simple potato salad! But you can sub with basil, oregano, rosemary, tarragon however will give the salad a completely different taste.
- Onions - red onions or sweet white onions are both great choices.
- The dressing - simple and light olive and mustard-based dressing that can be used in many vegetable salads. If you want to try something different, use my homemade Cashew Pesto instead.
Best Potatoes For a Potato Salad
- ‘’New’’ Baby potatoes - best for potato salad, other salads, soups.
- Red potatoes - great for salads, steamed potatoes, baked potatoes.
- Safe, in-the-middle option - Yukon gold potatoes (medium-starch) that are multipurpose.
- Purple potatoes
Heat up a medium pot with water, take it to a boil.
Cooking potatoes for potato salad. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Remove from heat and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut in half or into thick slices. Set aside while you prep the dressing.
The dressing for potato salad. In a glass jar mix all the rest ingredients (except pancetta, red onion, green onions), close the lid and give it a good shake.
(For best results, make ahead and keep in the fridge for all the flavors to combine well).
Garnish with bacon slices, more onion, cracked black pepper, and serve with your BBQ meats. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Potatoes - cook the potatoes until tender and test with a knife for doneness, you should be able to easily poke a knife in them. They shouldn’t be mushy at any point.
- Ensure the potatoes are completely cooled - To prevent a mushy potato salad, thoroughly chill the cooked potatoes before slicing them for the salad. Warmer potatoes, particularly russets, tend to be more fragile and can easily turn mushy.
- Save time by preparing the potatoes ahead - Cook them up to a week in advance and store them in the refrigerator until it's time for the egg-less potato salad. When you're ready to make the salad, simply chop celery and sweet onions, and whisk together the salad dressing.
Few of my favorite add ons:
- Dill pickles or even sweet pickles.
- Mix things up by adding other herbs or even two herbs combined such as parsley, tarragon, rosemary, basil, oregano, chervil, marjoram and even sage.
- Add some heat - for spicy lovers: mix in the dressing 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
If you make it homemade, then yes. Potatoes don't contain gluten but depending on other ingredients added to the salad (especially in store bought potato salads), it can contain some hidden gluten ingredients.
Ideally, you’ll want to avoid starchy potatoes such as Russet potato (best for mashed potatoes), which will become mushy and fall apart during the cooking, stirring process.
I would appreciate it so much if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the TYB newsletter and receive free recipes straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, IG & Pinterest!
Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Lime Cilantro Rice
- Healthy Bean Sprout Salad
- Broccoli Cranberry Salad
- Easy Pico De Gallo
- Homemade Easy Guacamole (3 ingredients)
Quick Potato recipes
- Mashed Potatoes With Cream Cheese And Garlic
- Sweet Potato Fries with Truffle Oil
- Mississippi Cheesy Mud Potatoes
- Twice Baked Cheesy Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Crispy Smashed Potato In Oven
Potato Salad Recipe (No Eggs)
- 2 pound baby potatoes, skin on
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoon salt or more/less to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, I actually like to use about 2 teaspoon for mine
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon dijon smooth mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon granulated sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 5-6 ounce bacon, or Pancetta, cooked and until lightly crisp and crumbled
- 2 tablespoon green onion or scallions, shallots (or sub with celery)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- Heat up a medium pot with water, take it to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Remove from the heat and run them quickly under cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut into half or thick slices. Set aside until you prep the dressing.
- The dressing for potato salad. In a glass jar mix all the rest ingredients (except bacon and green onion, red onion), close the lid and give it a good shake. (For best results, make ahead and keep in the fridge for all the flavors to combine well).
- Garnish with bacon slices, more onion, cracked black pepper and serve with your BBQ meats. Enjoy!
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.