An easy bbq side dish recipe loaded with potatoes, bacon, mustard olive oil-based vinaigrette without any eggs or mayo. This potato salad is light, very quick to make, and will be a perfect side dish for almost any main course. Perfect for parties.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
I try to avoid adding mayo to any of my food, if I do I use a Vegan mayo option or even make it at home myself. The taste is very similar to the original still but it is healthier and naturally lighter.
However this salad is made with olive oil and two types of mustard, a little bit of thyme, green onion and vinegar that is perfect in combination with baby potatoes.
If you like potato recipes be sure to check out Creamy Au Gratin Potatoes, Mashed Potatoes With Cream Cheese And Garlic, Sweet Potato Fries with Truffle Oil or simply type the word ”potato” into the search bar.
- Potatoes – baby potatoes or red potatoes (see next paragraph for the explanation)
- Mustard – dijon and grainy mustard combined give the best flavor to this potato salad.
Seasonings – salt, pepper. Ground pepper – for something different, try flavored ground peppers such as Lemon Pepper Seasoning, yum! Or simply squeeze a bit of lime or lemon juice on top of the salad.
- Herbs – None of my meals lack herbs, would that be fresh or dried will depend on the dish i’m preparing.
For this recipe I’ve used thyme, garlic and green onions. Thyme is another needed ingredient – will enhance any simple potato salad! But you can sub with basil, oregano, rosemary, tarragon however will give the salad a completely different taste.
- Onions – red onions or sweet white onions are both great choices.
- The dressing – simple and light olive and mustard based dressing that can be used in many vegetable salads.
For more in depth reading about types of potatoes please check out this cool article from Lisa.
Need a different visual? This recipe is also available as as story!
Heat up a medium pot with water, take it to a boil.
Add potatoes and cook until tender. Remove from heat and run them under cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut in half or into thick slices. Set aside while you prep the dressing.
The dressing for potato salad. In a glass jar mix all the rest ingredients (except pancetta, red onion, green onions), close the lid and give it a good shake. (For best results, make ahead and keep in the fridge for all the flavors to combine well).
Garnish with bacon slices, more onion, cracked black pepper and serve with your BBQ meats. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations
- Potatoes – cook the potatoes until tender and test with a knife for doneness, you should be able to easily poke a knife in them. They shouldn’t be mushy at any point.
- Serving suggestion – Serve the potato salad warm or cold, it will taste good both ways. But I enjoy adding the dressing to the warm potatoes, this way the flavors combine even better.
Few of my favorite add ons:
- Dill pickles or even sweet pickles.
- Mix things up by adding other herbs or even two herbs combined such as parsley, tarragon, rosemary, basil, oregano, chervil, marjoram and even sage.
- Add some heat – for spicy lovers: mix in the dressing 1 tsp of red pepper flakes.
What are the best potatoes for a salad?
Ideally, you’ll want to avoid starchy potatoes such as Russet potato (best for mashed potatoes), that will become mushy and fall apart during cooking, stiring process.
Best potatoes for a potato salad are:
- ‘’New’’ Baby potatoes – best for potato salad, other salads, soups.
- Red potatoes – great for salads, steamed potatoes, baked potatoes.
- Purple potatoes – I haven’t tried these for a salad, but heard they are a safe option as well! If you do try these out, please share your feedback and photos on Instagram tagging @theyummy_bowl. Thank you!
- Safe, in-the-middle option – yukon gold potatoes (medium-starch) that are multipurpose.
I hope you’ll enjoy this potato salad without mayo and if you make this recipe, please let me know down below in the comments or by tagging @theyummy_bowl under your picture on Instagram.
Thank you for reading,
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest! Your feedback is so important and it helps other TYB readers who are planning to make this recipe. Thank you, appreciated!
Want More Yummy?
Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Lime Cilantro Rice
- Roasted Beetroot and Feta Salad with Walnuts
- Healthy Bean Sprout Salad
- Easy Pico De Gallo
- Homemade Easy Guacamole (3 ingredients)
Quick Potato recipes
- Mashed Potatoes With Cream Cheese And Garlic
- Sweet Potato Fries with Truffle Oil
- Mississippi Cheesy Mud Potatoes
- Twice Baked Cheesy Potatoes
Potato Salad Without Eggs (Perfect BBQ Side Dish!)
- 2 pounds baby potatoes skin on
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tsp salt or more/less to taste
- 1 tsp pepper I actually like to use about 2 tsp for mine
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tsp dijon smooth mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ tsp granulated sugar or light muscovado sugar
- 5-6 oz Pancetta Italian bacon, cooked and until lightly crisp and crumbled
- 2 tbsp green onion or scallions shallots (or sub with celery)
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- Heat up a medium pot with water, take it to a boil.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Remove from the heat and run them quickly under cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut into half or thick slices. Set aside until you prep the dressing.
- The dressing for potato salad. In a glass jar mix all the rest ingredients (except bacon and green onion, red onion), close the lid and give it a good shake. (For best results, make ahead and keep in the fridge for all the flavors to combine well).
- Garnish with bacon slices, more onion, cracked black pepper and serve with your BBQ meats. Enjoy!
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you made this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Please tag me on IG @theyummy_bowl, using the hashtag #theyummy_bowl.