Easy Cream Cheese French Toast made in two ways - Nutella french toast and Strawberry stuffed french toast will become your family's new favorite, especially for kids! Treat yourself to this delicious restaurant-quality breakfast.
We have a great collection of tasty sandwiches, low carb wraps, quesadillas and many more. You can find it here.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
Dessert for breakfast? I'm in! Delicious slices of toasted bread in milk, eggs, cinnamon and butter stuffed with creamy strawberry or nutella filling. Or any other filling of your choice! Find more ideas below in this post.
Who said, that being gluten free you can't have toasts or bread of any kind? That’s a myth, honestly.
I have made myself and tried many delicious tasting bread that is gluten-free AND lactose-free too. It just takes time (and few failed recipes) to find the right one for you, it's that simple.
And these cream cheese french toasts are to die for! Just look at the filling, if you try these, there’s no turning back! You’ll be hooked, I am telling you 🙂
That being said ... I’d love to say that this recipe is healthy but sadly I can’t. It’s a perfect (insane) indulgence, comfort food and you are guaranteed to get your sugar fix for at least a few days in advance!
Don’t forget the toppings here, an essential part of this recipe!
If you like recipes with strawberries be sure to check out my other recipes such as Quick Strawberry Mousse (No Gelatin), Strawberry Pistachio Galettes From Cottage Cheese Dough (Gluten Free), Homemade Mixed Berry Dessert Sauce for pancakes!, Easy Strawberry Spinach Feta Salad or simply type word ''strawberry'' into the search bar.
PIN THIS POST NOW AND SAVE FOR LATER
- Bread - best to use stale old bread. I use gluten free.
- Strawberries and banana - choose your favorite fruit or berries but this is the ultimate combo that is most affordable and easy to make. Don't throw away the strawberry tops, read more about what you can do with them below in this post.
- Cream cheese - you can use both Philadelphia or Mascarpone cheese (I've used the last one in this recipe which is in my opinion best for sweet cream cheese french toast.)
- Cinnamon - adds a delicious flavor and darker color to plain bread slices. If you like using cinnamon I strongly encourage you to double the cinnamon in this recipe!
- Milk - Why do you put milk in french toast? To make a delicious and flavorful crust to a blunt bread slice, you'll need ideally both eggs and milk. These are the essential two ingredients that make a perfect french toast recipe. You can also make dairy free french toast, please read the FAQ section below.
- Eggs - an essential ingredient for the french toast recipe. The eggs act as a ''binder'' that helps to solidify and firm up the liquids in bread. It results in a crunchy golden crust and helps the ''sandwich'' to keep it's shape. Don't like eggs? Read my FAQ section for instructions on how to make french toast without eggs.
Slice the strawberries (reserve a few for garnish) in thin whole slices.
Add to a small bowl with a tablespoon of muscovado brown sugar, stir to coat the strawberries, and set aside while you prep the french toasts.
In a larger mixing bowl or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and kefir.
Mix until creamy. Set aside in the refrigerator.
In a large bowl enough size to dip each toast into, whisk together egg, milk and cinnamon.
French toast assembly. On an even surface or a large plate, smear about ⅔ of cream cheese mixture in total on each slice of bread (you’ll need to do this on both bread slices that make one toast sandwich).
Add Nutella to the remaining cream cheese mix, stir to combine, and smear on the bread.
Add strawberries and bananas on top.
Finish the french toast sandwich with another cream cheese bread slice on top.
Dip each sandwich in egg/milk mixture and cook on medium heat on a nonstick pan.
No oil needed unless you have a good non-stick pan, cook the bread until golden brown.
Serve these yummy cream cheese french toast warm with berries, banana, powdered sugar and maple syrup/honey. Or go all in and top with your favorite chocolate or caramel sauce! Shh, no need to worry about calories here, I won't tell 🙂 In the end of the day it is the ultimate classics - stuffed cream cheese french toast recipe!
Go big or go home…
Tips and Variations
- Bread - I like to use Schar products. The texture and flavor are just amazing.
This one is by far my favorite (I often use different flours from the same brand too), it's a nice size piece of bread and great for toasts and sandwiches. However these are not the thickest bread slices that are most popular for a stuffed french toast.
If you can’t find this particular brand available, other options can be used as well. Of course, it would b better to use a thicker slice but I found that with the right filling amount a slightly thinner slice can hold up the filling just fine. I just don’t like when there’s too much bread going on that will outshine the tasty creamy filling. But it's my personal preference 🙂 Feel free to modify the recipe to your liking.
- Toppings - what is a french toast without toppings!? Chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, marshmallow fluff, chocolate chips or shredded chocolate, nuts, berries, fruits, maple syrup, honey, agave syrup and so much more you can always add here.
- When dipping the french toast sandwich into egg/milk mixture, hold the bread in the middle and turn it around so all the corners are covered. Don't overdo as the sandwich may fall apart quickly before even toasting it.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO USE STRAWBERRY TOPS
Always save strawberry tops - don’t throw them away! Here's what you can make with them:
- Make strawberry-infused water.
- Don’t have a plan to use those tops right now? Place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge for up to a few days, or in the freezer for a few months, then pull them out when you’re ready to use them.
- Another great way to use them is to infuse your favorite spirit with them (i usually keep them in my rum for few days).
- Add the tops to your favorite smoothies to get a little pink hue and hint of strawberries.
How do you make French toast without egg taste?
To make eggless french toast you can sub 1 egg with 2 tablespoon of cornstarch for this recipe. Make sure to whisk the mixture properly before dunking the bread in it.
What can you substitute for milk in French toasts?
I use lactose-free milk but if you are allergic to dairy or vegan then you can use any plant-based milk that you have on hand. The great ones are cashew and almond milk (if they're homemade, even better, richer taste!).
How to make dairy free french toast?
You can definitely make french toasts completely without dairy. For this, you either fry the bread slices separately in plant-based milk and eggs and then add your toppings later. Or instead of cream cheese, you could use plant-nut-based yogurts like cashew, coconut, soy. If you do try these options, please let me know which one you was the best for stuffed french toast. Or share a picture on Instagram by tagging @theyummy_bowl Thank you!
Another great option for dairy-free french toast - is to use marshmallow fluff instead of cream cheese. Either store-bought or homemade. I haven't toasted the bread with it but sure have topped up my french toasts (and also pancakes, waffles, yum!) with this many times! To make it at home is very simple and quick. In a medium heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water, whisk 1 egg white, ¼ cup granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar. Whisk until all the ingredients are well combined and as soon as the sugar is dissolved remove from heat and continue to whisk until soft peaks form (like with whipped cream). Serve with french toasts, pancakes, waffles, muffins, and other baking recipes. It will last in the fridge for 2 days.
Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Spiced Oatmeal With Pear (Vegan Oatmeal)
- Pink Oatmeal With Pitaya Powder
- Waffle Omelette
- Pineapple Pancakes (Pina Colada Pancakes) | Gluten free
- Easy Breakfast Casserole with Bacon (Breakfast Strata)
Strawberry Recipe Favorites
- How To Make Crostini With Strawberry Salsa
- Strawberry Salsa
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Salad
- Strawberry Iced Tea with Mint
I hope you'll enjoy this cream cheese french toast recipe, if you make it, please let me know in the comments or by tagging @theyummy_bowl under your picture on Instagram. I'd love to hear from you and what you think about the recipe!
Thank you for reading,
Stuffed Cream Cheese French Toast (2 Ways!)
- 1 cup strawberries
- ½ of a whole banana medium
- 2 teaspoon Nutella or more
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ tablespoon kefir
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- ½ cup milk
- 6 slices gluten free bread any similar to toasts kind
- 1 teaspoon or more if you love cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon brown muscovado sugar
- ½ cup berries for garnish
- Maple syrup or honey to drizzle over toasts
- Slice the strawberries (reserve a few for garnish) in thin whole slices.
- Add to a small bowl with a tablespoon of muscovado brown sugar, stir to coat the strawberries, and set aside while you prep the french toasts.
- In a larger mixing bowl or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whisk together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and kefir.
- Mix until creamy. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl enough size to dip each toast into, whisk together egg, milk and cinnamon.
- French toast assembly. On an even surface or a large plate, smear about ⅔ of cream cheese mixture in total on each slice of bread (you’ll need to do this on both bread slices that make one toast sandwich).
- Add Nutella to the remaining cream cheese mix, stir to combine, and smear on the bread.
- Add strawberries and bananas on top.
- Finish the french toast sandwich with another cream cheese bread slice on top.
- Dip each sandwich in egg/milk mixture and cook on medium heat on a nonstick pan.
- No oil needed unless you have a good non-stick pan, cook the bread until golden brown.
- Serve warm with berries, banana, powdered sugar and maple syrup/honey. Or go all in and top with your favorite chocolate or caramel sauce!
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
Recipe adapted from Homemade Hooplah.
Need a different visual? This recipe is also available as a story![mailerlite_form form_id=17]
Recipe adapted from Homemade Hooplah
Gluten free toasts are the real deal, choose whatever toppings but can't beat the strawberries in cream cheese!