Homemade balsamic glaze - the world's easiest dressing/sauce that only requires 2 ingredients and 20-minutes!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links. Please see my disclosure for more details.
This perfect combination of flavors and the end syrup thick consistency makes it perfect for drizzling almost everything. Desserts included!
What is Balsamic Glaze?
Balsamic glaze is balsamic vinegar combined with sweetener or no sweetener at all, that has been cooked down until it's reduced in quantity and until it forms a thick syrup consistence.
Homemade balsamic glaze only uses 1 or two ingredients unlike the store bought options.
Is Balsamic glaze same as balsamic vinegar
Not at all.
Balsamic glaze is made of cooking balsamic vinegar until half of the liquid is disappeared and the mixture is turning into thick sauce.
How to make a homemade balsamic glaze with honey (or any other sweetener of your choice)
Pour 1 cup balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and add honey (or brown sugar, maple syrup).
Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer stirring occasionally until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. It should easily coat the back of a spoon. Then remove from heat and allow to cool. Be patient, the sauce will thicken more as it cools.
That's it! How easy is that?
how long does balsamic glaze (reduction) last?
Sealed in an airtight container stood in the refrigerator it can last up to 3 months. But I doubt there will be some sauce left after a week!
How to make balsamic glaze without sugar
Same method as described above but the only difference is that you won't add any sweetener. You may want to use double quantity of balsamic vinegar.
What is balsamic glaze used for
You'll be amazed how many dishes you can enhance with this easy sauce!
Simply drizzle the ready made cooled down balsamic glaze over:
- Caprese salad - the most classical and tasty combo!
- PIZZA & FLATBREADS - Simply yum!
- Grilled/roasted vegetables - sprinkle some crumbled feta cheese and top with balsamic glaze. OH, my Sweet Mother of God, this is heaven on earth!
- Cheese, tapas plates
- Pork chops
- Summer berries
- Ice cream - vanilla ice cream is my favorite 🙂
I hope you love this super simple recipe.
Thank you for reading!
How would You use the balsamic glaze in your dishes?
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. Your feedback is so helpful and helps other TYB readers who are planning to make this recipe.
Homemade Sweet Balsamic Glaze
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon honey or any other sweetent of your choice
- Pour 1 cup balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and add honey (or brown sugar, maple syrup).
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer stirring occasionally until reduced by half, about 20 minutes. It should easily coat the back of a spoon. Then remove from heat and allow to cool. Be patient, the sauce will thicken more as it cools.