This Chicken Zucchini Casserole may become your favorite zucchini recipe. Learn how to make this quick, easy, and budget-friendly casserole for busy weeknight dinners.
We love easy casserole recipes like Easy Breakfast Casserole with Bacon, Creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole, Butternut Squash Broccoli Casserole. And this Chicken Zucchini Casserole does not disappoint!
Why you’ll love this
- Incredibly tender and creamy - ground chicken in combination with soft baked zucchini under layers of sour cream and cheese - a total crowd-pleaser!
- Budget-friendly - a few simple, economical ingredients make this chicken zucchini casserole just from scratch without canned ingredients or cream soup needed!
- Easy to reheat - this chicken and vegetable casserole also re-heats super well - either in the oven at about 390 F (200 C) for approximately 10 minutes or simply pop in microwave.
- Easily Customizable - use ground beef or ground turkey with zucchini to make this casserole, but so far, chicken zucchini is my favorite.
If you like creamy chicken recipes be sure to check out these dishes: Creamy Chicken Pasta In White Wine Sauce, Creamy Chicken Taquitos (Baked Taquitos), Creamy Chicken With Spinach, Bacon And Sundried Tomatoes, Creamy Chicken Cheddar Cheese Sauce, Creamy Chicken Tacos, or simply type word ''chicken'' into the search bar.
- Zucchini - also called courgettes, is the main star ingredient that in my opinion is the best veggie to pair with chicken. It has soft, delicate texture and is best to use in stuffings, patties, fritters, cakes and breads. If you haven’t yet tried my 4 ingredient Chicken Zucchini fritters then they're about to become a hit in your family too. We make these often. Easy and very much kid-friendly and kid-APPROVED too! Ask my picky-eater 2 year old!
- Garlic powder and onion - the essential combo you can’t forget in almost every savory dish. I used both garlic and onion powder in case I am short on time or want to achieve more ''softer'' and not overpowering garlic/onion flavor which is simply delicious in my opinion (BUT powders are a great alternative when serving to kids).
- Carrot - isn’t essential, but it does add a little pop of color and taste which in combination with chicken zucchini tastes superb.
- Ground Chicken - can be substituted with rotisserie chicken or diced chicken instead. But I prefer ground chicken as it is so tender and perfect for this type of chicken casserole recipe. Your next options are ground turkey, ground beef/pork.
- Italian herbs - another needed ingredient for chicken zucchini casserole. These herbs enhance any simple casserole! But not essential, if you don't have it on hand it will still taste very good.
- Cheese - make sure to cover the top generously so you’ll have a thicker layer of cheese once done. But it’s personal preference, you can also add the only ¾ of a cup or less depending on the baking dish. Cheese lovers will appreciate!
Need a different visual? This recipe is also available as a story!
In a medium bowl grate the zucchini and add 1 teaspoon of salt, set aside for 10-15 min to drain off the excess water.
Remove the excess water using a strainer and spoon or wrap the zucchini in a thin kitchen towel (or a special fabric is also available on amazon) and squeeze tight to get rid of the water.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
Once done, gather all the ingredients (except cheese and sour cream) in a large mixing bowl and stir with a spatula or hands until combined.
Prepare a 9x13 or slightly smaller baking dish, spray with cooking oil, and transfer the mixture into the dish. Even out the top with a spatula and layer the sour cream on top.
Bake the chicken zucchini casserole for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the cheese, bake again for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Your Chicken Zucchini Casserole is ready! Garnish with parsley or scallions, cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
Being loaded with plenty of zucchini and chicken, this dish doesn’t necessarily need a vegetable side dish or salad of some sort. But if you do wish to add a little fresh salad (I highly recommend this easy Marinated Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad - this goes with anything!) or even Mashed Potatoes.
- Sour Cream - depending on your casserole dish size, add more sour cream as needed to cover the entire area as instructed in the recipe. Sour cream used here is mainly to add a little flavor without creating a thick sauce. But feel free to add even more if you prefer this way.
- Onion - brown or yellow onion is preferred and you can feel the flavor in the dish. If not so much of an onion fan, use a smaller onion or reduce the quantity in half.
- I used a smaller oval casserole dish for this, and if using the standard 9 x 13 inch you'll need to adjust the quantities slightly to fill up the space.
Gluten Free Zucchini Recipes
Easy One Pot Recipes
- Healthy Vegetable Breakfast Frittata
- Creamy Chicken Bacon And Spinach Pasta
- Ground Beef and Cabbage
- Creamy Chicken Taquitos (Baked Taquitos)
I hope you'll enjoy this chicken zucchini casserole recipe and if you make it, please let me know about it in the comments or by tagging @theyummy_bowl under your picture on Instagram.
Thank you for reading,
Want More Yummy?
Chicken Zucchini Casserole
- 11-12 oz (300 g)Ground chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 carrot medium grated
- 1 large zucchini grated
- 1 medium brown/yellow onion chopped
- 3-4 tablespoon sour cream or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste + for zucchini
- 1 ½ cup Cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Italian herb spice or a mix of dried oregano, garlic, thyme
- In a medium bowl grate the zucchini and add 1 teaspoon of salt, set aside for 10-15 min to drain the excess water out.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Remove the excess water using a strainer and spoon or wrap the zucchini in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze thightly.
- Once done, gather all the ingredients except cheese and sour cream in a large mixing bowl and stir with a spatula or hands until combined.
- Prepare a 9x13 or slightly smaller baking dish (I used a smaller oval shaped dish), spray with cooking oil, and transfer the mixture into the dish. Even the top with a spatula and layer the sour cream on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the cheese, bake again for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley or scallions, cracked black pepper.
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on the products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you made this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Please tag me on IG @theyummy_bowl, using the hashtag #theyummy_bowl.