Why It's Yummy
- Incredibly tender and creamy - ground chicken in combination with soft baked zucchini under layers of sour cream and cheese - a total crowd-pleaser!
- Budget-friendly casserole - a few simple, economical ingredients make this chicken and zucchini casserole just from scratch without canned ingredients or cream soup needed!
- Easy to reheat!
- OPTIONAL TOPPING: You can also add a crunchy topping with ritz crackers, crispy bacon or cornflakes just like I did with my, ham and potato casserole or million dollar chicken casserole.
You only need a handful of healthy ingredients and 15 minutes to whip up this easy casserole.
- Fresh zucchini - also called courgettes, is the main star ingredient that in my opinion is the best veggie to pair with chicken. It has numerous health benefits, has a soft, delicate texture and is best to use in stuffings, patties, fritters, muffins, cakes and quick breads.
- Garlic powder - the essential aromatic you can’t forget in almost every savory dish.
- Carrot - add a little pop of color, texture and sweet taste which in combination with chicken zucchini tastes superb.
- Lean ground chicken - can be substituted with skillet browned and chopped skinless boneless chicken breast, rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken instead.
- Italian herbs - These herbs enhance any simple casserole! But not essential, if you don't have it on hand it will still taste very good.
- Shredded cheese - make sure to cover the top generously so you’ll have a thicker layer of cheese once done. But it’s personal preference, you can also add only ¾ of a cup or less depending on the baking dish.
- Related: How To Store Zucchini
My few comments on the ingredients + don't forget to read the Tips section!
The full recipe and ingredients can be found in the recipe card below this post.
How To Make Chicken Zucchini Casserole
Prep zucchini. In a medium bowl grate the zucchini and add 1 teaspoon of salt, set aside for 10-15 min to drain off the excess water.
Remove the excess water using a strainer and spoon or wrap the zucchini in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze tight to get rid of the water.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix the filling. Once done, gather all the ingredients (except cheese and sour cream) in a large mixing bowl and stir with a spatula or hands until combined.
Prepare a 9x13 or slightly smaller baking dish, spray with cooking oil, and transfer the mixture into the dish.
Add sour cream. Even out the top with a spatula and layer the sour cream on top.
Bake the chicken zucchini casserole for 35 minutes.
Add cheese and bake again. Remove from the oven and add the cheese, bake again for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve! Garnish with parsley, scallions, or bacon and freshly cracked black pepper.
📋 FLAVOR & TEXTURE: Creamy, savory, and mildly tangy flavor profile with earthy notes from zucchini and carrots, all balanced by a delightful cheesy richness.
- Related: Zucchini Casserole
- Sour cream - adjust the amount of sour cream based on your casserole dish size to cover the entire area as per the recipe. The sour cream is primarily for flavor, not to create a thick sauce, so add more if desired.
- This chicken bake is gluten-free and made with lots of fresh veggies and ground chicken.
- The smaller the casserole dish the thicker the chicken zucchini casserole will be. Oval baking dishes work well.
- Extra veg - carrots and zucchinis add just the right amount of moisture to the casserole but you can also add small amounts of sauteed mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, chopped broccoli florets, corn, peas, marinated drained artichoke hearts.
Freezing And Storing Instructions
- To Store. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
- To Reheat. When reheating, return it to the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, optionally adding extra cheese, and bake for a few minutes until thoroughly warmed.
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken?
Certainly, although it will change the recipe's nutritional content.
- To prepare it, remove and discard the skin, then meticulously separate the meat from the bones, discarding any cartilage.
- Use your hands to pull the chicken apart, dicing the chicken breasts and shredding the remaining meat. Leftover roast chicken can also be used as an alternative.
I would appreciate it so much if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the TYB newsletter and receive free recipes straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, IG & Pinterest!
Chicken Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- 11-12 ounce (300 g) ground chicken
- 1 medium egg
- 1 medium carrot , grated
- 1 pound zucchini , grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons sour cream, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste + for zucchini
- 1 ½ cup Cheddar or Colby Jack Cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Italian herb spice, or a mix of dried oregano, garlic, thyme
- In a medium bowl grate the zucchini and add 1 teaspoon of salt, set aside for 10-15 min to drain off the excess water.
- Remove the excess water using a strainer and spoon or wrap the zucchini in a thin kitchen towel (or a special fabric is also available on amazon) and squeeze tight to get rid of the water.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once done, gather all the ingredients (except cheese and sour cream) in a large mixing bowl and stir with a spatula or hands until combined.
- Prepare a 9x13 or slightly smaller baking dish, spray with cooking oil, and transfer the mixture into the dish. Even out the top with a spatula and layer the sour cream on top.
- Bake the chicken zucchini casserole for 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add the cheese, bake again for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley, scallions, or bacon and freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
- Flavor: Creamy, savory, and mildly tangy flavor profile with earthy notes from zucchini and carrots, all balanced by a delightful cheesy richness.
- To Store: I suggest storing any remaining casserole in an airtight container in the refrigerator, where it can be kept fresh for 3 to 4 days. When it's time to reheat, simply place it back in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, optionally adding a bit more cheese, and bake for a few minutes until it's thoroughly warmed.
- To Make Ahead: You have the option to prepare this entire chicken zucchini casserole a day in advance and refrigerate it for reheating later. Alternatively, you can choose to assemble its components separately.
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
Favorite Zucchini Recipes
Homemade Casserole Recipes
Common Recipe Questions
It's safe to use raw chicken in a casserole for oven cooking, although the cooking time is longer compared to precooked options like rotisserie chicken. Using diced, shredded, or ground chicken, as in this recipe, ensures quick cooking. All bacteria are eliminated once the oven temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Peeling zucchini is generally unnecessary for baking, especially with fresh young zucchini. The skin contains nutritional value so keeping it is recommended. In this zucchini chicken casserole, grated zucchini with the skin on becomes tender during baking, enhancing the dish.
It is not necessary to salt the zucchini before cooking. The fastest way is to grate the zucchini before cooking, leave it in a fine-mesh strainer for 10-20 minutes, and then wrap it in a thin fabric or kitchen towel and squeeze the extra moisture out. Avoid steaming or boiling the zucchini.
Remove excess water by wrapping the cut or grated squash in a piece of fabric and squeezing out the water. Alternatively, you can saute the veggies before cooking which will also remove most of the excess water.
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.