Creamy Cucumber Salad has only 5 ingredients, comes together in seconds, and is the most refreshing salad for your BBQ meats. Loaded with cucumbers, dill, onion, and radishes this salad is bursting with flavors and good for you nutrients.
And I can't forget about one of the most popular recipes on this blog Marinated Cucumber And Tomato Onion Salad.
Ingredients For Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Yogurt - any plain natural yogurt, such as greek yogurt. Sub with vegan options (e.g. coconut or soy). Sour cream (at least 20%) is another alternative.
- Cucumbers - the following cucumbers are perfect for salads, they are juicy and skin not bitter: Dutch, English cucumber, and Persian cucumber (usually more expensive). For the creamy salad, I like to peel the skins anyway as it just tastes better when soft and creamy.
- I like to use aromatics a lot in pretty much any dish, a combination of dill and green onions works great here. This is the optimal amount that is not overpowering and most folks can eat. However, if I would prepare the creamy cucumber salad only for myself I’d add at least 3 tablespoons of dill and extra green onions.
- Sugar – For a low-carb version prepare the marinade with a sugar replacement, such as erythritol or stevia. For sweeter brine add more tablespoons of sugar or sugar replacement.
How To Make Creamy Cucumber Salad
Slice the cucumbers and radishes as thinly as possible, preferably with a mandolin. Transfer to a large bowl.
Add chopped dill, spring onion.
In a separate bowl or mason jar, whisk yogurt or sour cream, salt, and pepper. Add sugar here if you are used to this in salads.
It is not necessary but will make other flavors stronger. You'll only need about ½ teaspoons.
Pour over the salad ingredients, stir to combine.
Season again with salt and pepper if needed.
What To Serve With It
I love to serve this salad with grilled meat or veggies and casseroles. Some of our favorites include fulfilling Hamburger Casserole, veggie lover favorite Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan, Chicken Zucchini Casserole and ultra cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole.
ALL DINNER recipes.
- Chill the ingredients - keep all the cucumber salad ingredients in the fridge except seasoning before use. This way you will be able to enjoy the salad right away without needing to refrigerate after combining.
- Sweating cucumbers - I usually don't sweat sliced cucumbers for salad. English or Dutch cucumbers typically don't release much water. Their natural juice, when combined with yogurt and other ingredients, creates a refreshing dressing. If you prefer drier cucumbers or want to preserve the salad longer, you can slice them, sprinkle with salt, and let them sit in a mesh strainer for a few hours to remove excess water.
- Make ahead - That being said, I prepare all my salads on the day and consume them within 2 days, and they are fresh and with great flavor. There is no good of making a salad many days in advance, it is just not the same flavor, my friends.
- Can be made with sugar replacement such as erythritol or stevia.
- How to store - Best to be stored in the fridge in a jar or air-tight container for up to 2-3 days.
I would appreciate it so much if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the TYB newsletter and receive free recipes straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, IG & Pinterest!
Creamy Cucumber Salad With Radishes
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled or unpeeled, sliced thin
- 8 medium radishes, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt or sour cream
- 2 stalks of green onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon sugar optional
- Slice the cucumbers and radishes as thinly as possible, preferably with a mandolin. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add chopped dill, spring onion.
- In a separate bowl or mason jar, combine yogurt or sour cream, salt, and pepper. Add sugar here if you are used to this in salads. It is not necessary but will make other flavors stronger. You;ll only need about ½ teaspoons.
- Pour over the salad ingredients, stir to combine. Season again with salt and pepper if needed.
- Enjoy right away.
- Should you peel cucumbers for a salad? You don’t need to peel the cucumbers for a salad, it is optional. But depends on the type of cucumbers used - Dutch, English, or Persian cucumbers have thin and not bitter skin that makes them perfect to use in salads.
Smaller, homegrown cucumbers can have thicker skin that is advisable to be removed but not necessary as well.
- How far ahead can you cut cucumbers? The best way to have the freshest cucumbers for consumption is to wash and cut them right before you are going to eat them. Whole cucumbers will remain fresh for a week or two in the fridge however sliced cucumbers only for a couple of days.
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.