These cozy Creamy Chicken Tacos are hearty, filling, and so delicious. Just a few ingredients and about 15 minutes of a little bit of/ cooking time make up this amazing dinner.
You will love these easy shredded chicken tacos recipe with tender chicken and cream cheese filling. These easy chicken tacos can be made quickly and well in advance!
Since everything can be waiting for you in the fridge, you can get from hungry to dinner in no time. Shout out to whoever invented this easy ”dish”.
Simply whip up the chicken cream cheese mixture a few days before and keep it refrigerated in an airtight container. When ready to eat, just take out and fill the taco shells and pop in the oven for few minutes. Easy, huh?
Why you’ll love this
- Made with gluten-free tortillas or use corn tortillas instead
- Incredibly creamy filling
- Cheesy – who doesn’t love cheese!
- Perfect for meal prep
- Homemade and healthy
- Shredded chicken tacos – the easiest way to use chicken in tacos, as you can buy already made rotisserie chicken from the store or make your own crockpot chicken tacos version (see tips below).
- Cozy and hearty
- Quick! Ready in 15 minutes
- Perfect to feed a crowd!
- Kid-friendly – omit cayenne spice from the filling to make it more kid-friendly
Heat up a medium pan with a little drizzle of vegetable oil. ”Warm-up” (flash fry) the tortillas (either regular, gluten free or corn tortillas) until just lightly browned, one at a time, and set aside.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a small or medium saucepan over low heat, place cream cheese, cayenne spice, shredded chicken, minced garlic (or use 1 tsp garlic powder instead), green onion, and cheese. Stir until cream cheese is softened and all the ingredients combined (2 minutes). If you’re into spicy, add slices of jalapeno or green chili as well.
Assemble the tacos. Take one tortilla at a time, fold it gently in your hands and fill each tortilla with the chicken cream cheese mixture (a little bit over half) and transfer to a baking dish close to each other so none of them will fall over.
Transfer to oven and bake for about 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas starting to brown even more.
Garnish with fresh jalapenos, sweet corn (or mix it in the cream cheese chicken filling), more grated cheese, and serve while warm!
- Crockpot chicken tacos – use either rotisserie chicken from the store or make your own very easily in a crockpot. Place the chicken breasts Prepare the chicken (rinse and pat dry) and place the boneless skinless chicken breasts into the crockpot along with simple spices like salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Add 1-2 cups of chicken broth (depending on how much chicken you have) and slow cook for 3-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low, until fork tender. Shred the chicken and use it in this creamy chicken taco recipe.
- For a more mild taste, omit the cayenne pepper. I just like my tacos hot!
- Cheddar cheese – what is taco without cheese? Use sharp cheddar or a mix of grated cheddar and mozzarella. (Monterey jack cheese will also work great here).
- Garlic – depending on your location, garlic will vary. If you know that the garlic you have on hand is not big or strong enough, add 1 more garlic clove. I have added two medium in this recipe. But this step is optional, alternatively to be on the safe side, use garlic powder instead (about 1-1/2 tsp).
Easy creamy chicken recipes
Easy Mexican style recipes
- Easy Vegan Chili Recipe
- Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Lime Cilantro Rice
- Vegan Homemade Nacho Cheese
- Shredded Beef Chimichangas
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and a star rating below. I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board on Pinterest! Your feedback is so important and it helps other TYB readers who are planning to make this recipe. Thank you, appreciated!
Want More Yummy?
Creamy Chicken Tacos
- 8-10 medium gluten free tortillas or corn tortillas
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper spice
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 handful of green onion or chives thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup + for garnish cheddar cheese shredded
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Fresh jalapenos (1-2 jalapenos thinly sliced) and sweet corn (1-2 tablespoons) for garnish
- 1/2 cup sweet corn canned or thawed frozen for garnish or mix in the filling
- Heat up a medium pan with a little drizzle of vegetable oil. Fry tortillas until just lightly browned, one at a time, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small or medium saucepan over low heat, place cream cheese, shredded chicken, garlic, green onion, and cheese. Stir until cream cheese is softened and all the ingredients combined (2 minutes).
- Assemble the tacos. Take one tortilla at a time, fold it gently in your hands and fill each tortilla with the chicken cream cheese mixture (a little bit over half) and transfer to a baking dish close to each other so none of them will fall over.
- Transfer to oven and bake for about 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas starting to brown even more.
- Garnish with fresh jalapenos, sweet corn, more grated cheese, and serve while warm!
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on the products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
If you made this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Please tag me on IG @theyummy_bowl, using the hashtag #theyummy_bowl.