Iced Dalgona Coffee is a quick and easy way to enjoy a barista-quality iced beverage at home using 5 simple ingredients (including hot water and ice) in just 5 minutes. This creamy and luscious whipped coffee is made of fluffy bitter-sweet foam over ice-cold milk. So refreshing!
Dalgona Coffee Ingredients
- Instant coffee - use finely ground instant coffee because it dissolves easily in hot water making it easier to whip it into frothy clouds! Choose a good-quality instant coffee to guarantee a robust coffee foam. The better the quality of the coffee, the richer the taste of your Dalgona Coffee.
- Sugar - this ensures that the foam does not become overly bitter and also helps in making the foam light and fluffy. You can also use monkfruit sweetener as long as it is granulated.
- Hot water - it needs to be hot to quickly dissolve the coffee and sugar granules, giving you a smooth and well-mixed base.
- Milk - you can use full-fat milk or any type of milk like soy milk, vanilla soy milk, almond, or coconut will be great! If you want the coffee to be hot, just warm up the milk in microwave and omit the ice.
- Ice - you can use regular ice cubes or tubes, or also use frozen milk cubes.
The full recipe and ingredients can be found in the recipe card below this post.
How To Make Dalgona Coffee
Whip the coffee mixture. Place instant coffee, sugar, and hot water into a mixing jar or bowl.
Then, use an electric mixer to make the characteristic coffee foam of this coffee.
Don't have an electrical mixer? Hand whisking takes 8-15 minutes with a zig-zag motion in a bowl for optimal air incorporation. But you'll be tired!
You’ll need 1 to 2 minutes of high sped mixing to achieve the desired consistency.
Assemble. Prepare your Dalgona Coffee by placing a cup of ice in each glass.
Then fill it up to ½ inch from the top with milk, and finally, top each glass with the sweet and soft coffee foam.
- This recipe doesn’t work with expresso powder coffee.
- Make sure that the water is at boiling point so the coffee dissolves properly.
- You’ll need to stir the coffee in with a spoon so that it is nicely blended with the milk. This is the best way to drink it!
- If you still find your final result too bitter try adding some sweet coffee syrup (my favorite is chocolate, almond, or Irish coffee syrups).
Whip the coffee mixture until stiff peaks form. This ensures a light and airy texture for the coffee foam. It may take some time, so be patient and continue whipping until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Top it up - sprinkle your whipped coffee with cinnamon, cocoa powder, shredded milk or dark chocolate, crushed Oreos … whatever you like, it's your amazing creation!
- Add different flavors - add syrups like chocolate, almond, hazelnut, and mint to the milk or later when stirring in the coffee and blending with milk. Or you may want to add flavored creamer to your milk just right before you top it up with the whipped coffee.
- For a softer taste - add a few dashes of vanilla or almond extract when whisking up the instant coffee.
More Refreshing Drinks
I would appreciate it so much if you left a comment about this recipe below! Subscribe to join the TYB newsletter and receive free recipes straight to your inbox! Let's connect via Facebook, IG & Pinterest!
Whipped Coffee Recipe
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- milk to fill your chosen glass, about 1-2 cups
- 2 cups of ice, one per glass
- Whip the coffee mixture. Place instant coffee, sugar, and hot water into a mixing jar or bowl. Then, use an electric mixer to make the characteristic coffee foam of this coffee. You’ll need 1 to 2 minutes of high sped mixing to achieve the desired consistency.
- Assemble. Prepare your Dalgona Coffee by placing a cup of ice in each glass, then fill it up to ½ inch from the top with milk, and finally, top each glass with the sweet and soft coffee foam.
- Can I use a whisk instead? If you do not have an electric or hand mixer, you can still make the foam by whisking manually, but you’ll need more time and dedication.
- Why is my foam not becoming fluffy? One of the common mistakes, why coffee mixture won't turn fluffy, is that you're using too much water or not beating enough your mixture. Be patient and the results will come!
- Iced Dalgona Coffee is best enjoyed fresh. The coffee foam may lose its fluffy texture over time, so assemble and consume the drink shortly after preparing it.
ADD YOUR OWN PRIVATE NOTES
If you do not have an electric or hand mixer, you can still make the foam by whisking manually, but you’ll need more time and dedication.
One of the common mistakes, why coffee mixture won't turn fluffy, is that you're using too much water or not beating enough your mixture. Be patient and the results will come!
You can also make this coffee in the hot version; simply use warm milk. The foam won’t hold it too long, though.
Feel free to increase the amounts according to the number of desired servings.
You'll Also Like
For all breakfast recipes, hop on to our Breakfast collection.
Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Full Nutrition Disclaimer can be found here.