Cucumber onion salad consists of fresh cucumbers and onion slices in a simple vinaigrette - a great side dish made with simple ingredients to be enjoyed at the next barbecue!
Cucumbers and onions in vinegar is always a classic fool-proof side dish for any main course.
⭐ Looking for more refreshing side salad recipes? Try our Marinated Cucumbers and Tomatoes, Mediterranean Salad, or these Marinated Vegetables.
There is a skip-to-recipe button in the top left corner along with a clickable table of contents list (just below) that will quickly take you to the part you are more interested in. Enjoy!
My few comments on the ingredients + don't forget to read the Tips section!
The full recipe and ingredients can be found in the recipe card below this post.
- English cucumbers - Thinly sliced. Persian cucumbers, Japanese cucumbers, or Kirby cucumbers can be used instead of English cucumbers.
- Onion - Medium brown onion or sweet white onions, thinly sliced. Red onions are another option, and so is the Vidalia onion, albeit sweeter options
- Apple cider vinegar - Rice wine vinegar would be a good alternative to apple cider vinegar, but I don't recommend using white wine vinegar as this is too overpowering.
- Red wine vinegar - Apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or sherry vinegar are good alternatives.
- Salt - Teaspoon salt to taste. Seasoned celery salt is great for more flavor, but you could also use regular sea salt.
- Fresh ground black pepper - To taste
Slice each cucumber in ¼-inch slices and add to a large bowl. For very thin slices, you could use either Julienne slicer or a good Mandoline.
Slice the onion into thin half moon slices and add to cucumbers.
Toss to combine.
Dressing. In a separate bowl mix together all the remaining ingredients.
Pour the dressing mixture over the cucumber and onion and toss to fully coat/combine.
Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
No fancy equipment is needed. Here are the basics:
- Mixing Bowls
- Julienne slicer or Mandoline
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Airtight Food containers
- Buy your cucumbers and onions directly from a farmers' market for the best flavor.
- Vinegar- The vinegar enhances the natural flavor of the vegetables and adds freshness to the dish. I used a combination of both red wine and apple cider vinegar. For a stronger vinegar taste try white vinegar or for milder rice vinegar or just apple cider vinegar.
- Always check your cucumbers and onions for any marks, bruises, or blemishes.
- To intensify the flavors in this simple salad, allow it to sit for at least 10-15 minutes before serving, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
- You can use this delicious cucumber and onion salad as a base, adding other ingredients such as nuts, fresh herbs or dried herbs (dried dill or fresh dill), or meat like shredded chicken or turkey.
- Leftover cucumber and onion salad can be added to a leafy green salad so that nothing goes to waste!
- This salad is best enjoyed slightly chilled, although it can be served immediately at room temperature. Leftovers won’t keep well for long since the cucumbers and onions will release more liquid as time goes on.
- Add sour cream to the tart vinegar marinade for a creamy dressing if you want a creamy cucumber salad.
- The sliced cucumbers are thin slices which helps them to absorb the tangy vinegar dressing. Thicker slices won't absorb as much flavor.
- Add cherry tomatoes to make cucumber tomato salad.
- Sugar - For a low-carb version prepare the marinade with a sugar replacement, such as erythritol or stevia. For sweeter brine add more tablespoons of sugar or sugar replacement.
📋 JULIA'S TIP Optional: for even stronger flavor marinate the cucumbers and onions in the refrigerator for two hours or overnight before serving (however this will affect the texture and cucumbers will lose their natural crunch).
⭐We love a good cucumber salad and we have a few more we highly recommend you to try:
I love to serve this cucumber and onion salad with grilled BBQ meats, seafood, or roasted veggies.
And this salad makes a geat side dish for any casseroles: try our cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole, creamy Chicken Enchilada Casserole, and veggie lovers' favorite Gluten Free Eggplant Parmesan.
- To Store. These cucumbers in vinegar shouldn’t be stored in the fridge for longer than 3 days as the leftover salad will start to lose its crispy texture.
- To Make Ahead. To intensify the flavors in this simple salad, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
Yes! Research reveals consuming cucumbers and onions can increase good cholesterol and lower blood sugar.
Cucumber and onion salad is very high in nutrients while low in calories. In addition to containing vitamins and minerals, cucumber and onion salad also contains antioxidants, increases hydration, and bowel regularity, lowers blood sugar, aids weight loss, promotes hydration, and is super easy to add to your weekly meals.
These marinated cucumbers and onions shouldn’t be stored in the fridge for longer than 3 days as the leftover salad will start to lose its crispy texture.
No. You don’t need to peel cucumbers for this salad as the thin skin provides a great source of dietary fiber.
Easy Side Dish Salad Recipes
ALL SALAD recipes.
💗I hope you'll enjoy this cucumbers and onions recipe, please leave a rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo of your food and tag me on Instagram @theyummy_bowl. I love seeing your creations! 💗
Cucumber and Onion Salad With Vinegar
- 2 English cucumbers (about 2 cups sliced thinly)
- 1 medium brown onion or sweet onion (sliced thin)
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt to taste (i used seasoned celery salt for more flavor)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- black pepper to taste
- Slice each cucumber in ¼-inch slices and add to a large bowl.
- Slice the onion into thin half moon slices and add to cucumbers. Toss to combine.
- Dressing. In a separate bowl mix together all the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the cucumber and onion and toss to fully coat/combine.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To intensify the flavors in this simple salad, allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving, or store it in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
- To store. These marinated cucumbers and onions shouldn’t be stored in the fridge for longer than 3 days as the leftover salad will start to lose its crispy texture.
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
Julia | The Yummy Bowl
Enjoy these cucumbers in vinegar with bbq meats, seafood and more delicious fulfilling main courses.