This Healthy Vegetable Breakfast Frittata dish is packed with loads of extra veggies so you can get at least one portion out of 5-a-day needed. Easy to make during busy weeknights and require less than 30 minutes of your time.
It’s an easy recipe that requires simply throwing all the veggies into whisked eggs and milk and then baking it in a round cake pan or baking dish.
There is a skip-to-recipe button in the top left corner along with a clickable table of contents list (just below) that will quickly take you to the part you are more interested in. Enjoy!
I even sometimes have it for dinner or eat it cold in a sandwich. A great recipe if you’re especially lazy to cook during weekends like me 🙂
So what is a frittata?
It is made by blending eggs with milk or cream and then cooking on the pan or baking in the oven until it sets. It is similar to a quiche but without the crust or like scrambled eggs, loaded with plenty of healthy veggies and meats.
The word frittata is actually Italian and roughly translates to "fried."
How do you make a frittata?
It could never be easier! You can do it both methods either stovetop or baked.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, and then add milk or heavy cream, salt, and pepper.
- Follow with cheese.
- In a medium pan, add onion, garlic, cook for a few minutes and then add mushrooms. When mushrooms cooked, add spinach and cook until spinach reduced in size. Set aside.
- In the same pan, cook bacon.
- Add the veggies and bacon to the 8 or 9-inch cake pan and pour in the egg mixture.
- Add green onions and give it a good stir.
- Finally, add in the cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes until top golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and let it sit for few minutes.
- Top with fresh herbs and enjoy this healthy vegetable frittata!
- You can also top your frittata with some crumbled goat, feta or cotija cheese.
- With this recipe you can also prepare frittata muffins.
- Add some spicy sauce, sriracha sauce to your baked frittata! So good!
More Savory Breakfast Ideas
How do you know when frittata is done?
Cook the frittata in the oven just until the center is no longer jiggly and the edges are golden-brown. For extra reassurance, you can place a toothpick into the center of the frittata.
What else can you add to your healthy vegetable frittata? Well, the options are endless, really but here’s few of my favorite combinations.
- Spinach, ham, and cheese
- Butternut and kale frittata
- Broccoli, chorizo, and cheese
- Zucchini and mushrooms
- Spinach and potatoes
- Mushroom frittata
- Green frittata: Asparagus and spinach, kale, zucchini
- Mushrooms, asparagus, and spinach with crumbled feta of cotija cheese on top for garnish.
- Salmon and smoked cheese
More Egg Breakfast Recipes
ALL BREAKFAST recipes.
Healthy Vegetable Frittata
- 10 large eggs
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar
- ½ onion diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 pcs mushrooms sliced
- 10 pcs cherry/plum tomatoes
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Herbs or seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, half and half, cheese, italian herbs, green onions, salt, and pepper.
- In a 10-12 inch oven proof skillet, over medium-high heat, cook onion, and mushrooms. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in spinach and cook until it's wilted and reduced in size. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Give the egg mixture a good stir and pour over the vegetables, covering them evenly. You can gently use a spatula to evenly spread out the eggs and cheese. Top with tomatoes tucking them in half way through. Cook for a couple of minutes without stirring so it can set a little.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until egg has completely set all around, veggies are cooked, and edges are golden brown. You can turn the broiler setting for the last 5 minutes for the top to brown better.
- Take out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes before slicing.
- Top with fresh parsley and enjoy!
- You can also top your frittata with crumbled goat cheese.
- With this recipe, you can also prepare frittata muffins.
(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.)
Leave a Reply