Easy 5-minute refreshing Skinny Watermelon Margarita Recipe for those hot summer evenings! Loaded with fresh watermelon, tequila, orange liquor and plenty of lime may about to become your new best homemade margarita recipe.
When watermelons are in season it is the best time to learn how to make watermelon margarita cocktails!
Make it just for one and keep the leftovers (if you have any!) in a pitcher in the fridge or serve later at dinner.
Best to be consumed right away after it’s made but use your best judgment for storing this homemade margarita!
The process of the homemade margarita is easy and relatively straightforward.
Prepare the margarita glasses or regular whisky tumbler/water glasses (for best results use chilled, I place mine in the freezer until they are ice ice cold!), make the salt rim, add ice and pour in the homemade margarita mix!
I also strain the flesh and seeds after blending the drink, but you can take out the seeds before and leave a bit of watermelon flesh inside, up to you!
If you like refreshing beverage recipes such as this watermelon margarita, be sure to check out my other drinks too: Strawberry Chili Agua Fresca, Strawberry Iced Tea or head over to the drinks category list over here.
- Tequila - use a good quality brand blanco or golden tequila.
- Liquor - any type will work such as Triple Sec, Grand Marnier, and of course Cointreau which i use for all my margaritas.
- Lime - the recipe calls for 2 ½ tablespoons of lime juice but if you love sour drinks a much as I do I’d add at least one more full spoon of juice. However if you’re new to homemade cocktails, start with little, as you can always add extra to taste in the end.
- Salt - two words: SEA SALT, a game changer! I used Maldon Salt Flakes and crush them myself leaving few bigger flakes in the mix too. Salty crushed flakes combined with chilled watermelon drink is really something! Who would have thought that this weird combo: salt and watermelon can be SO good?
- Sugar - any sweetener of your choice will do, such as stevia, honey, agave syrup, brown demerara light, or dark sugar. Traditionally Margarita is a sour cocktail, but to balance the flavors some sort of sweetener is a good idea, the amount may vary as well depending on how sweet and ripe is the watermelon used.
Why not make it spicy? Add a dash of Jalapeno Simple Syrup directly to the drink before serving.
Why you'll love this
- Great for beginners - you won’t need any shakers or other special bar equipment! If you have a blender you're good to go!
- Refreshing – simply magical for those hot summer days when you feeling thirsty!
- Fun and easy homemade cocktail to serve during Cinco De Mayo!
- Can be made in advance and in large quantities for a crowd.
- Can be served as a punch in a bowl or pitcher with ice.
- Ready in 5-10 minutes at the most!
- Balanced flavors – perfect amount of sweet and sour flavors.
Need a different visual? This recipe is also available as as story!
Let's learn how to make watermelon margarita!
Prep. Salt the rim of a whiskey tumbler or margarita glass. Rub it thoroughly with a lime wedge and dip the top of the glass in a small plate with crushed sea salt flakes. For best results use chilled glasses!
Blend. Next, add all the ingredients for the cocktail in a blender and process until all mixed well and there are no chunks of watermelon. For best results use chilled Watermelon.
Strain the blended drink into a pitcher or bowl to prevent any seeds and excess watermelon flesh from coming into the drink. Taste and adjust if need with extra lime juice or sugar.
Serve on the rocks. Top the prepared glasses with 3-4 large ice cubes in each and carefully divide the margarita cocktail between each glass.
Garnish the margarita with watermelon, lime slice, and enjoy!
- Make it a Spritzer – it also tastes incredible when adding soda, sweet tonic or sparkling water to the pitcher or final individual serving glasses.
- Ice - is optional when blending the mix. But for best results use chilled watermelon chunks, alternatively, add ice (about 3-4 ice cubes) into the blender.
- Cold spring water - you’ll need a bit of water, it helps to blend all the ingredients, depending on your blender you’ll need to add more/less than mentioned in the recipe.
- Sugar – any sweetener of your taste will work here, stevia, honey, agave syrup, maple syrup ..
- I like to keep my serving glasses in the freezer and take them out right before serving.
- If you’re not a big fan on the salty rim (not everyone is!) or not sure if your guests will like this, make the salt rim only on half of the glass. Or add a bit of sugar into the mix (to taste).
- Salt rim - use sea salt flakes as mentioned, alternatively regular salt, margarita salt is fine too.
- Make it Spicy - have you tried Tajin yet? Swap salt to tajin spice or simply mix chili powder into sea salt flakes to make a spicy and salty rim. Delicious!
If you’re going for a full-on Mexican theme here or celebrating Cinco De Mayo, you’ll want to add to your table some Mexican food classics that go pretty well with this watermelon margarita recipe.
For the Appetizer table:
- Pico De Gallo
- Vegan Nacho Cheese - not only vegans will appreciate this!
- Strawberry Salsa
- Creamy Chicken Tacos
- Sweet Potato Tacos
Serve these homemade margaritas for dinner with:
I hope you love this watermelon margarita recipe as much as I do.
Easy Beverage Recipes
Skinny Watermelon Margarita Recipe
- 4 cups watermelon cubed
- 1-2 tablespoon cold spring water or as needed
- 2 ½ tablespoon fresh Lime juice or more to taste
- 4 ½ oz white Tequila
- 3 oz Cointreau or other orange liquor
- 9 large ice cubes for serving or less
- 2 tablespoon white sugar or brown
- 2-3 lime wedges
- 1 tablespoon sea salt flake crushed
- Prep. Salt the rim of a whiskey tumbler or margarita glass. Rub it thoroughly with a lime wedge and dip the top of the glass in a small plate with crushed sea salt flakes. For best results use chilled glasses!
- Blend. Next, add all the ingredients for the cocktail in a blender and process until all mixed well and there are no chunks of watermelon. For best results use chilled Watermelon.
- Strain the blended drink into a pitcher or bowl to prevent any seeds and excess watermelon flesh from coming into the drink. Taste and adjust if need with extra lime juice or sugar.
- Serve. Top the prepared glasses with 3-4 large ice cubes in each and carefully divide the margarita cocktail between each glass.
- Garnish the margarita with watermelon, lime slice, and enjoy!